Poker seems like an easy casino game, but is it the same playing online? No, online poker is a slightly different game. Although the rules may seem similar, some online poker patterns differ.
Unfortunately, some South African players still play online poker with the same strategy used at brick-and-mortar casinos. So if you want to win, you must know online poker strategies are completely different.
Besides teaching you the best online poker strategies, you will also discover how to choose the best online SA poker sites.
Online Poker in SA: Steps to Play
Online poker games often begin with a compulsory bet. When the croupier deals the card, you are expected to do any of the following:
- Check: The first action is to check your card. Checking your card passes the action to the next player automatically.
- Bet: Bet if no other player has done so. Before you bet, make sure you have a strong hand.
- Call: At online poker games, calling means matching a bet or a raise.
- Raise: Raising a bet at online poker means staking the highest amount.
- Fold: This is about quitting a poker round.
Top Online Poker Strategies
The idea behind the poker strategies outlined here is to help you increase your chances of winning. Learn when to call, raise, or fold.
- Bluffing: This strategy entails convincing your opponent that you are stronger than they are. Mastering this strategy is important because your opponent will never know if you have a strong hand or not. Also, it is better to bluff early in the game. If you don’t bluff, your opponents would easily read your hand.
- Know When to Fold: The best time to fold is pre-flop. As soon as you receive a weak card pre-flop, bow out of that round. Also, it is better to continue a poker round when you have a strong hand. With this online poker strategy, you can save a lot of money. Don’t forget, the longer a poker round, the more money you spend.
- Bankroll Management: Don’t play on a poker table that you can’t afford. If you have a budget of R5000, don’t play on a table that has R500 blind. With this, you have just about 10 rounds to play. Opt for a table with a lower blind. A table with R40 is preferable. In most cases, betting one percent of the budget is preferable.
- Free Poker: As a beginner, it is safer to try out the free online poker game. In most cases, players are rewarded with coins as prizes. The free online poker game would help you understand the game.
- Pay Attention: Generally, poker requires a lot of skill and skimming. There are two types of opponents at online poker games. They are either aggressive or passive. You can call or raise your opponent more often and see if he can take the pressure.
Choosing the Best Online Poker Sites in SA
The factors you consider while playing at a land-based poker table are entirely different regarding online poker sites. Considering the influx of so many online casino operators, you need to be discrete in making your choice.
- License: Like the land-based casinos, online poker websites must have a license too. However, these licenses must be issued by trusted online gambling regulatory agencies. For instance, some of the most trusted online gambling regulatory agencies are the UK Gambling Commission, Malta Gaming Authority, etc.
- Payment Options: Ensure that the online poker website provides payment methods that are suitable to SA players. If you can’t cash out your winnings in Rand or via secure payment options used in SA, please don’t register.
- Software Providers: Take note of the software providers that power the poker games. Software providers design and create the games. Unscrupulous software providers develop games that give the online poker website more advantage. You can barely win a game if you play on such a gaming website.
- Customer Support: Ensure that the online poker website has reliable customer support. Online poker websites with 24/7 customer support are preferable.
Online Poker Vs. Land Based Poker
To understand online poker games better, let’s compare them with land-based poker tables.
|Online Poker||Land-Based Poker|
|You can access online poker with your mobile device from anywhere||Players must visit land-based casinos or poker rooms to play the game|
|Online poker games are faster||A round at a land-based poker can take hours|
|No strict limit on the number of poker players||The number of poker players may be restricted|
Now you know the best strategies on how to play online poker in South Africa. And now is the best time to visit your favorite online poker site. However, ensure that the South African online poker website has most of the features listed here. Finally, using some of the strategies outlined here can win you a jackpot.