Security in online casinos contributes to the overall safety of players. But before settling on a secure gaming site, note only safety starts and ends with the player. For example, you need a strong password when registering with a casino website. The rising cases of cybercrimes mean security in eGaming platforms has never been more important than it is now. This post walks you through the tightrope of online casino security.
Casino Security Basics: Background and Evolution
The birth of the internet triggered advanced security challenges. As people shifted gambling activities to the web, scammers also devised new methods of fleecing unsuspecting gamblers. However, the evolution of online casinos and the consequent security modifications have helped solve most problems. In particular, technology has played a big role in ensuring the safety of gamblers on the web. From password protection, firewalls, SSL certificates to two-factor authentication, the basics of online casino security have evolved over the years.
Today, your online security is guaranteed when you register with the best online gambling real money South Africa sites. And in the case of gaming apps, occasional software updates ensures that gamblers are safe from hackers. It is the same case with browsers such as Google Chrome and Safari, which must be updated to avoid security breaches on gaming platforms. The catch is that without using the latest version of a gaming app or a browser, the risk of passwords ending in the wrong hands is higher. Moreover, casino game developers, regulatory authorities, secure payments gateways, and the use of random number generators (RNG) collectively contribute to having secure online gambling sites in the 21st century.
The Importance of Online Casino Security
Online casino security is a subset of cyber security. As you will find out, most security internet measures directly impact the eGaming industry. In a nutshell, a secure online casino is realized when web users and players begin to take personal safety measures seriously. It begs the question, how is security important in online casinos? Here are some answers.
- Loss prevention is important in online casinos, and it is only possible when gambling sites and gamblers take security measures seriously. While losing is part of the game, losses due to hacking should not happen. Without proper protection, gambling sites/players would be losing millions of dollars every day.
- Security in online casinos also preserves the integrity of the game. In this case, the use of random number generators and third-party regulators eliminate biases in winning outcomes. A secure internet casino makes it impossible for hackers to access and compromise gaming systems. Recent news about Bitcoin exchange hacking is a perfect example of how a security breach can bring disrepute to a gaming site even if the intention is not to steal player funds.
- A secure casino online ensures the legitimacy of gaming platforms. It is why online casinos always partner with the best cyber security providers such as Cisco, Microsoft, IBM, McAfee, and many others.
- Reduced risk of hacking is another reason why online casino security is important. Because hacking of gaming sites can happen through varied ways such as phishing, malware, and DDoS attacks, the use of multifaceted security methods in gaming sites is necessary. Protection methods include the use of passwords, two-factor authentication, and web-based antivirus.
Factors Ensuring Secure Casinos Online
In this article, we also explore several ways in which online casinos are protected. Thus far, let’s narrow everything down to specifics. Here are factors ensuring secure gaming sites.
Data encryption technology is pivotal in online casino security. While gamblers feared sharing their data with websites, data encryption makes everything secure. It is because the information you share with gaming sites gets converted into a format that cannot be read using third-party software. SSL encryptions and certificates are especially popular in this aspect of cyber security.
Online Gambling Licensing
The issuance of gambling licenses is another factor that makes gaming sites secure. For secure online casinos, gaming providers, as well as gaming sites, must obtain operational licenses. A perfect example, in this case, is the Malta Gaming Authority, a legal entity that provides licenses to online casino operators within its jurisdiction. Because gambling regulatory bodies ensure only licensed companies operate, it is impossible to do business in the eGaming enterprise without a certificate. Trust and security are also realized through licensing of a gaming site. The catch is that gamblers will also sign up with secure online casinos that operate under legally recognized jurisdictions.
Use of Random Number Generators
Fairness on gambling sites contributes to the overall safety and security of online casinos. The use of Random Number Generators ensures that there is no third-party interference with gaming outcomes. While the gaming sites can be easily rigged in favor of the house, RNG generates numbers for every player so that the outcomes are not predetermined. The algorithm used in this technology further ensures that the numbers are not repeated in the next round of games.
Regulatory and Testing Bodies
Regulation of online casinos ensures impartiality and non-interference from the state or government. Let’s explore a few notable ones below.
Gibraltar Regulatory Authority
The Gibraltar Regulatory Authority is considered one of the most trusted and reliable eGaming authorities in Europe. The GRA, which was established in October 2000, operates under the Gibraltar Regulatory Act. The GRA enforces gambling rules within the European Union.
Curacao eGaming Commission
The Curacao eGaming Authority was established to enforce online gambling laws. Cyberluck Curacao N.V. is one of the bodies under the eGaming commission that is mandated with the responsibility of gaming license and certificate provision. This commission is one of the oldest in the world, hence a popular licensing authority in many eGaming jurisdictions.
Malta Gaming Authority
Malta Gaming Authority is popular in online casino circles. The body was established in 2001 and has gained traction to become one of the most popular gaming authorities in Europe. The MGA ensures safe gambling in its jurisdiction, security of funds and also ensures minors are protected from joining gaming sites.
The United Kingdom Gambling Commission
The UK is a popular gambling destination in Europe. And to protect UK citizens from unsafe gambling, the UKGC ensures that only gaming entities with valid licenses are allowed to operate in the country. Moreover, the body, established in 2005, issues gaming licenses to online casinos. However, the body does not regulate sports betting in the UK.
Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission
The Gambling Supervision Commission was previously known as the Gambling Control Commission. Tax-friendly regulations under the body have made it popular among eGaming companies. The Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission undertakes roles such as licensing, facilitation, and guidance to online casino game providers for a secure gambling environment.
Points to Consider While Looking for Secure Casino
When looking for secure online casino sites, pay attention to red flags that could mislead them into signing up with scam platforms. To help punters circumvent such pitfalls, here are points to note when looking for a safe and secure casino website.
- Always look for a casino website with the latest SSL certificates/encryption technology. The aim here is to avoid the risk of exposing your details to hackers on outdated sites.
- Punters should read authentic casino reviews online to avoid misleading information about bonuses and offers.
- Ensure that a gaming site is legally established and regulated by the bodies we have explored above or any other recognized gambling regulatory authority.
- Always note that a trusted and secure online casino must have recognizable physical addresses and license numbers.
Secure Online Gaming in South Africa
Security at online casinos is an integral part of safe gambling. For South Africans looking for the ideal online casino, you should always check trusted review sites for the latest information. While the internet has everything you need to get started, you should filter information to ensure it is verifiable and trustworthy. Secure gambling starts with your cooperation in ensuring that gaming accounts are registered using legitimate details. The gaming sites and regulatory authorities will take care of the rest to secure casinos online.
What Is a Rogue Casino?
- Put simply, a rogue casino is where unfair gambling practices are advanced to the detriment of players. Notable unfair gambling practices by rogue casinos include refusal to pay winners, unresponsive customer service personnel, misleading adverts about bonuses, and many other illegal practices.
How Do I Know the Online Casino Is Fair?
- A fair casino uses a random number generator to determine the outcome of games. It should also have a legal certificate, license number and advocate for fair practices through easy and quick sign-up/payout processes. Moreover, a fair online casino has a verifiable payment history to winners. In this case, steer clear of gaming sites whose payout records are questionably scanty.
How Are Online Casinos Regulated?
- Regulation of internet casinos occurs through licensing authorities and Acts of Parliaments/Congress. Through Acts of Parliaments/Congress, the government also ensures a safe and regulated gambling environment.
How Do Casinos Get Licenses?
- Online casinos get licenses from legally established and independent regulatory authorities such as the Malta Gaming Authority. The Curacao eGaming Commission is another popular licensing authority under which thousands of internet casinos fall. It is also important to operate under established gambling laws.
What Is SSL?
- SSL is a security layer that websites use to encrypt data between servers and browsers. It stands for Secure Sockets Layers. Always ensure that a gaming site has a valid SSL certificate before signing up to play casino games.
What Is eCOGRA?
- eCOGRA is a testing and standardization agency based in London and is mostly associated with ensuring the safety of online casinos. eCOGRA is an ISO-certified and internationally approved agency that oversees, among other things, adherence to legal gambling practices in the UK and beyond.
What Is a Payout Percentage?
- Payout percentage, sometimes referred to as Return to Player percentage, denotes the total sum that a casino pays a winner in a game. Usually, a casino deducts parts of the winnings from players and gives it as a lump sum payout to a player who wins a competition.
Is It Safe to Make Deposits in Online Casinos?
- Yes, online casino deposits are safe, provided the gaming sites have secure payment gateways. Moreover, punters should use only safe banking methods when transferring funds to and from gaming sites. The gaming sites also have security checks to ensure the safety of your financial data/information.
What Are the Most Secure Online Casinos in South Africa?
- South Africa hosts some of the most secure internet casinos in the African continent. They include but are not limited to PlayLive, Spin247, Yeti, Yebo, ZAR, and Betway casinos.